On 15 September 2023, Rector of the University of Banja Luka Prof. Radoslav Gajanin, PhD, and Rector of the Ural Federal University, named after the Russian President B. N. Yeltsin, Victor Koksharov signed an agreement on cooperation between the two higher education institutions.
As stated in the agreement signed at the Rectorate of the University of Banja Luka in the presence of the Minister of International and Foreign Economic Relations of the Sverdlovsk Region Vyacheslav Yuryevich Jarin, the cooperation between the two universities will be carried out in the form of exchange of teaching and administrative staff, as well as researchers and students of all study cycles. They will be working on joint projects, dual degree programmes, innovations and transfer of knowledge and technologies, as well as lifelong and professional development programmes. The plan is that in the next five years, as long as this agreement lasts, the two universities will jointly organize various conferences and courses, and the representatives of the two universities will be jointly delegated to the editorial boards of scientific journals.
This Russian university, with its seat in the city of Yekaterinburg, was founded in 1920 as the first university in the wider region by a decree signed by Vladimir Lenin, but was soon divided into two universities, the Ural State University and the smaller Ural State Technical University. A comprehensive reform of Russian universities was carried out in 2008, and the two universities were reunited in 2010. It is one of the best Russian universities, with over 40,000 students. More than 400,000 students graduated from this university, and the most important alumni was certainly Boris Yeltsin.
The signing of the agreement was also attended by Vice-Rector for International and Inter-university Cooperation Prof. Milica Balaban, PhD, and members of the Sverdlovsk Region delegation, representatives of the Embassy of the Russian Federation in Bosnia and Herzegovina and the Russian Center for Science and Culture "Russian House".